Thursday, March 15, 2012

Failure is not an option.


Gedankenexperiment:

PRONUNCIATION:
(guh-DAHNG-kuhn-ik-SPER-uh-muhnt)


MEANING:
noun: A thought experiment: an experiment carried out in imagination only.
(source)


What would you do if you knew you would not fail?  

I mean, besides the obvious "win the lottery" or "convince George Clooney that he should indeed get married again and that I'm perfect for him". When you're drifting off to sleep, or zoning out while standing in line at the store, or watching the clock at 3:08 PM on a Thursday, what do you think about doing? On a clear night, when you wish upon a star, what do you say?


I've always wanted to be in charge of what I did. The jobs where I succeeded the most were the jobs where I was given the autonomy to devise my own processes. I'm at my best when I am allowed to reach the end result in a manner of my choosing. I think it's a big part of why I've been struggling in my current position--even if I'd been given all the training and information in the world on this topic, it's not part of the culture here to carve out one's own path. I understand why, for the most part, given that we must maintain compliance with Federal regulations blah blah blah... but it's one more reason that this isn't where I'm supposed to be.

When I wish upon my star for that at which I cannot fail, it's for a world where nobody gets testy when I arrive at 8:03 AM or leave at 4:58PM.

My Gedankenworld (new. favorite. made-up. word) has no fluorescent lighting. We are encouraged to put holes in the walls as we decorate our spaces with things that inspire us. It smells nice because people know not to put fish in the microwave. It is a transparent world in which expectations match the reality.

The experiment I began to carry in my imagination in November 2011 has become a tangible thing--it's no longer just in my.... gedanken (which sounds a lot like badonkadonk, but I assume it's slightly higher, anatomically). I didn't know where this Get A Grip thing was going to take me, or whether it was even viable. It took months before I told anyone--even Mr Incredible wasn't in on it until recently.  

I knew I was on to something when I started thinking about blog topics, or implementation of Best Practices for the business instead of dwelling on the negative stuff that would keep me awake until the wee small hours. I just couldn't let go of this--it seems like it's what I'm supposed to be doing. So, although I never said to my wishing star, "I wish I may, I wish I might.... tell people how to clean their houses." I feel like I'm on the right track. I feel like if someone were to ask me "What's your passion?" I wouldn't just roll my eyes and think "oh shut up you freaking hippie"; I'd actually have a coherent answer.

I'm spending a lot of time putting the nuts and bolts of the business together, because the whole point of this project is to turn it into a livelihood. I'm excited to see where this is going. Big things are coming.  

This is what I am doing, because I know I will not fail.

1 comment:

  1. SO excited for you! And, fyi...for me? Gedankenworld=Pinterest. I'm glad to see you are taking it OFF Pinterest & actually doing something! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete